Friday, September 17, 2010

The week's Recap.



- Last weekend we took a walk with the kids down to the ocean area we have near our home (maybe a 6 minute walk?). It was so refreshing just to be out in the air and beauty, together. We've been indoors so much more than we normally like for various reasons: intense language learning, finding a place that's green, open and somewhat clean, being so new here still can overwhelm, etc. We went to these fountains that were spraying up with classical music playing around us with loud speakers. My kids had a blast playing in the water! It was such a treat for everyone involved (including the crowd it drew to see the foreign kids and take pictures of them). Here's one side view of our "audience"...



A view from the pier by the fountains..

- On that note, I am always curious ... what do people do with our pictures? We might just be blown up larger than life hanging over a fireplace, in an Asian home somewhere...

- We discussed language this week and made the decision to cut back an hour a day for me when I begin schooling Job. Language is easily all consuming and I'm trying to balance my priorities. Language isn't the goal of life but it's a servant toward my making relationships here. You can always do more and do better. But I've had to be humble and admit my limitations once I am schooling my son. I need the brain power that one less hour will reserve!

- We've definitely gotten more comfortable getting out and exploring. We went on an excursion out in the city one day this week with some friends. It was so great to just see different snapshots of our city, of the people and life here and to do it all with my kids - it was so fun!





- I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I've fallen in love with reading good fiction since being here. I didn't think I'd have time. Language has made my brain and body weary and it's been so nice in the evenings or weekends to relax, crack open that book and think through, learn through and enjoy a good story. Just finished Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry. Beginning Rainwater by Sandra Brown.

- It's corn season here! It's been so interesting to watch people spread out their corn to dry all around our neighborhood grounds. Then they come back at days end to scoop it into bags for selling.