Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Jiaozi Experience.

Jiaozi is a small dumpling usually filled with meat and vegetables that are very common here. My house helper made these for lunch today and our whole family got to give it a try.

My helper, May, is seriously an awesome cook. We lucked out. I was amazed watching her. This would take an American a lot of skill. She made a filling from ground pork, green onion, finely chopped ginger and some spices.

The wrapper is like a soft dough. You put the filling in the middle and work your way around the edges, crimping them closed. Hers looked like art.



Here I am, having a go at it. I'll be honest, once they were ready to be dished out and eaten, we could tell which ones were mine (warped, odd shaped discs)...


Let's face facts, I'm clearly a Yeti compared to sweet, small May:


Job was focused on making his dumpling. He enjoys learning things about being here, I love that he has people like May to love on him, invite him to pull up a stool and watch.

Sweet little fingers.


When you've filled them, you boil the dumplings. She cooked ours in a wok filled with boiling water. They use a wok for everything and anything. Then you dip in rice vinegar and soy sauce or a similar salty mixture. Really yummy. Really unique to this culture.