Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Slices of Life.



Job and I went to the grocery store this morning together. I usually go to our bigger more "western" place once a week and then try and buy my fruits and vegetables at this place that is really just a road near my apartment with stands and families selling fruit/vegetables. I have not had as much time lately because of language to go to 2-3 places (it can be up to 3 sometimes depending on what I need if only one place has cheese, another has black beans, etc) so I usually ask my helper if she will buy my my fruit/veg for me. She's great! A huge gift to me. With language, 3 kids and LIFE here you feel like your days are so full! The last thing I want to do after a day of language and keeping up house is go spend my "free" time doing errands. I have been enjoying trying to get the kids out and let them play and get some face to face time with them. It also gives us a way to interact with locals and get more comfortable with our surroundings.

Here's a picture of Job in front of the fish tanks at the bigger grocery store. Think PetSmart meets WalMart - I guess that really would just be named "PetSmart" :) Anyway, there's these enormous tanks with lobsters, crab, various types of fish, shrimp and sea urchins. My kids love to walk around and look (we inevitably use our sense of smell too!). I was able to order a few pounds of ground beef this morning without any help too...progress. Don't think I sounded like a local though, all I know is I definitely got "cow meat". Then she asked me something I had no idea what she meant. Such is my life at this point, unless I'm within my walls the majority of communication I'm hearing is not understood. I have to tell myself often this is a great season for breaking, depending and of flexibly learning, being "sanded down" by life.

Good and uncomfortable.