Saturday, January 1, 2011

Investing in the New Year.

I thought I would pass along some resources that have encouraged me in my desires for 2011.I know my idols well and control is one of them. Doing more and relying on myself. Goals can serve my idol of control (and still appear quite "holy") or I can allow them to be a means used by the Lord to bring about heart change. I can hold them with a loose grip while making them a servant to my walk with Jesus. As I plan and pray I want to remind myself that without God's continual grace I will bear no inside, real heart change (the ultimate goal).

What is man's word? An earthen pot broken with a stroke. What is your own resolve? A blossom, which, with God's care, may come to fruit, but which, left to itself, will fall to the ground with the first wind that moves the bough.

Charles Spurgeon

It can seem overwhelming because there's so many areas I want to see growth that I may avoid any discipline. But I know if I can choose to focus and bear fruit even in ONE area this year that's more than before. Don't feel the need to use everything below but maybe just pick ONE thing to read or listen to. Don't be mistaken into thinking I will be making my goals around each of these resources (though they whet my appetite!) but I hope these things spread a bounty for you to reflect and see the "focus" place Jesus wants for you.




This has been a nugget of a book. It's short so I read it in one evening and it's super helpful because it's not just about doing your schedule. It's about reflecting on where you want to grow and what your most important priorities are and making SURE those are getting the attention they need before other, lesser things. Especially for me this was really huge because we are busier and more easily distracted than other seasons. I needed to see my "roles" in the proper order right now: Child of God, Wife, Mother and Student.

Sermons worth your time:




Be Not Weary in Well Doing (by an incredibly wise woman regarding mothering priorities)

Blog Posts worth dwelling on:





May we press into Him more in 2011!