Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas at our place.

My view from Christmas morning:



We had a great Christmas. Sorely missed our dear loved ones for sure but are blessed to have them at all in our lives. Missed my mom's amazing pies. That sweet feeling you get being around people who know you so well. Missed hearing cousins laughing with delight as they play together. Mamaw's peaceful and glowing living room during Christmastime. Meal and outfit planning with my sister's. Candlelight service and making gingerbread houses with friends. These things didn't make me sad but overwhelmed me with memories that I never deserved at all. Thank you Jesus for giving us these gifts in years past! You built each of those relationships and memories for our joy and your glory! They are precious but You are overwhelmingly better than your gifts!

We saw new gifts in sweet memories this year...
We began a new tradition of making a bed of blankets and sleeping under the tree together on Christmas Eve. I got the space by Phin where I was half off the rug, half on...a bit uncomfortable but oh so worth the memory made. We woke up together and skyped with Paul's family while we opened their gifts. Did I mention both our families sent wrapped and ready gifts for us? We are so blessed. We talked with my parents and family. We enjoyed our gifts, ate a big breakfast and read books. It was snowing so beautifully outside. We relaxed and played the whole day and then enjoyed an all american dinner (King Ranch Chicken Casserole). Sang some carols, read a few stories and the night wound down. It was a good gift of a day here.

We also celebrated our first birthday in Asia - my sweet hubby's. It was fun and he got a crazy candle that opens up like a flower and has a "Happy Birthday" ring to it.


I am so thankful for a time of celebration this year. We are through our first set of holidays here in Asia and God's grace has been abundant!

May the New Year bring much more joy in You Father. May our lives reflect you more this year, may we faithfully plod and put to death and strive to treasure you most! May our hope be less in ourselves and more rooted in who You are.