Saturday, December 4, 2010

Mother Justification vs. Jesus Justification.

And He also told this parable to some mothers who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and viewed others with contempt...

Two women went down to pray, one, an outwardly "perfect" mom and the other clearly struggling under her load at home and her mothering.

"Perfect Mom" stood praying: God I thank you that I am not like other moms: messy houses, unfinished to- do lists, children who don't listen right away or a woman who would think of making unhealthy meals for her family. I do crafts twice a week. When I promptly wake at 5:am each morning, my bible reading never gets pushed aside. And wow, how much homeschooling we got accomplished today - all thanks to my planning ahead!

But the broken, tired mom fell to her knees at her sink full of days' end dishes and cried "God - have mercy on me, a sinner! I failed to love in so many ways today! I struggled to keep your Word as first priority and spoke harshly to the kids. I'm really having a hard time getting everything done each day. Oh how I need the grace you offer me in Jesus!"

I tell you this mom when to sleep justified rather than the other because she saw her daily need for a Savior. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled but he who humbles himself will be exalted.

Adapted from the parable told in Luke 18: 9-14.