Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hard Work.


I'm writing this sitting on my bed, near my small patio (actually let's call it what it is so there's no misconceptions - it's really my laundry room). The doors open. I see women in the courtyard hanging laundry. I hear women shoveling peanuts into a bag that they've dried out in the sun. I watched a group of them early this morning beating the corn off the husks in bags together. As I walk to buy vegetables or go get take out I wonder how they carry these long sticks across their shoulders that are filled with various heavy materials and don't give out in pain. There's no doubt about it ... women here work hard.

But what is my work look like right now? Certainly I'm called to work hard like the women I watch with such interest. They know their work and do it with resolve. They don't seem to wander around, wondering what their job is or whose job looks better. Do I work like that?

Since moving here I have been faced with the need for more clarity so I am doing the right things, not every. thing. Not someone. else's. thing. Being who God has made me, in this culture, while looking to His word for my parameters.

And I keep coming back to Titus 2.

...to love my husband
...to love my children
...to live wisely
...to be pure
...to work in my home
...to do good
...to be submissive to my husband
v.4-5

For me most of the time this is hard work! And it often doesn't feel grand but just looks like:

...cooking meals
...reviewing my language recordings
...changing sheets
...reading the same book to my little girl
...talking with my house helper
...biting my tongue
...making someone else's favorite meal instead of what I want
...feeling worn out
...asking for forgiveness from a 6, 4 & 3 year old
...moving out of my comfort to chat with neighbors
...inviting others in when I really want to be secluded with a book


Here's where I live. In the little moments. Our life really is made up of these, isn't it? And I'm choosing to plod in these areas that stretch me. Often failing but thankful I'm growing.