Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ringing in our second New Year.

Here's what my bedroom looks like this morning:


Because here's what it's been looking like at 10 or dare I say 11 at night the past few nights:

Three little munchkins tucked in watching their favorite all time movie The Prince of Egypt. If you could hear hear the soundtrack to this you would hear the movie volume way up and loud booms of fireworks going on outside.

This week has been a ginormous celebration week for our neck of the Woods. You may have heard a little something about it... three little words called: Chinese New Year. Otherwise known as don't-even-think-about-sleeping-well. Last night was the big celebration where everyone puts off fireworks for hours upon hours. I'm telling you I've experienced nothing like it in my life. We kind of hyped it up and and made it fun for the kids (why not? they weren't going to sleep anyway...). We told them we'd have fun, play and stay up late. We've been hearing some fireworks for a few days, note my use of the word some. Ones that remind me of 4th of July back home but nothing like last night. We had a front row seat..er room... to the displays over our neighborhood. These aren't like ones in the States. They are serious, dangerous and huge ones that your average joe can buy and use. I'm thinking of the ones The Mirage set off when I lived in Vegas....



Really cool and the kids were mesmerized. We ate dinner, watched a loud football game, played wii and enjoyed the show of lights. No kidding there was a 3-4 hour span where there was not 30 seconds- 1 minute without hearing them. We all went to bed around 12:30 AM. Felicity fell asleep at 11:30. It's the latest we've stayed up as a family but there's just no way we would have been able to sleep with all the sounds. So we finally hooked up our noisemaker to our loud speakers and dozed off but the fireworks lasted all throughout the night.

It was crazy. And fun. And such a memory. I mean we get to say as a family we experienced a huge part of the culture we're living in.

Here's the kids last night, ready for an all nighter!

I hope tomorrow to post the aftermath pics I took this morning...but for now a nap sounds really good.