Monday, November 22, 2010

A new kind of Thanksgiving...


The preparations have begun. I went downtown yesterday to find some American goodies I can use to cook with for our Thanksgiving in just a few days. Things like bacon, whipping cream and cream cheese. Years past have meant rushing to WalMart to get items from my list. A flurry of activity, a messy kitchen and a schedule. This year because I live in Asia, it now means I go to thin alleyways lined with overflowing open bags of spices and a group of old men playing cards to find my goodies. I practice some of my phrases "How much is this?" and "small white cheese that is soft" with the shopkeepers. Life here is sometimes more simple and I'm thankful for that. I don't waste time looking at the bacon aisle reading labels because there's only one type and it's in rundown store the size of my bathroom back in America. It can be more work too but this year I want to savor the chance to have a different holiday than years past. Trust that this is good and can hold fun, new things for us as a family. I'm sure I will have an even messier kitchen this year (it's tiny) but I'm thankful to celebrate the good. So here's what I'm making for our little family's meal this year.

Spoon Cornbread
Garlic Mashed potatoes
My sis in law's sweet potato casserole
My sister's well loved Apple Pie

I have a few activities planned for the kids too. I love using holidays to teach and make memories.