Friday, November 26, 2010

Simple Pleasures - Thanksgiving Edition.


We had a great Thanksgiving here, celebrated over a quiet family dinner and also together with some American friends in our city. It could have been a day filled with missing family & familiar traditions but instead left me humbled and truly thankful. Moments this year that left me truly satisfied:

Hearing Psalm 103 read in English by my husband and then by a friend in the language of our new "home".

Being in a home that felt comfortable. The hostess sought to serve me and my family the whole day we spent in her home.

Food just as good as past thanksgivings, just different than my past "traditional" family dishes. It was a variety of everyone's favorites. My heart was full of gratitude for these foods that took more time, effort and planning so we can be reminded of "home".

Realizing that food is a soulful thing, isn't it? Food is a means of comfort, teaches us about one's culture, is full of memories and is just another excuse to get into one another's real lives.

Conversations with those seeking the Lord that challenge me and make my heart soft.

My children laughing, playing and enjoying time with other little ones.

Language advice and encouragement from women who I have much to learn from.

Remembering that every gift, every good meal or sweet memory made was purchased for me at Calvary.

Every bit of bread you eat, if you are a godly man or woman, Jesus Christ has bought for you. You have it at the hands of men for money, but Christ has bought it at the hand of his Father by his blood. Certainly it is a great deal better and sweeter now....

Jeremiah Burroughs, taken from The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment.